Did you know that Providence has been named a “Playful City USA” by KaBOOM!, a national non-profit dedicated to saving play for America’s children? To celebrate, parks across the city are launching Playful Providence, a citywide, weekend-long celebration of play. The kick-off this Friday, September 7th at 4:30 pm in Burnside Park, will be the first in a weekend of events that will be held at 21 neighborhood parks and 6 other play and recreation venues throughout the city from September 7 – 9, to encourage families to visit new parks and explore new ways of playing.
Join us on Friday, September 7th for the Playful Providence Kick-Off Celebration in the heart of downtown Providence, Burnside Park!
Greater Kennedy Plaza will host a free, all ages celebration on Friday evening (4:30-6:30pm) to launch this citywide series. We welcome families across the state to join in an evening of music, art, games and fun!
- Musical performances by Girls Rock! RI alums, members of Super Chief Trio, and the Brown University Marching Band
- Parkour demonstration by Parkour Rhode Island
- Providence Children’s Museum’s Imagination Playground
- Interactive exploratory activities with the Rhode Island Museum of Science and Art
- Girls Rock! RI with music demos and lessons
- “Avenue Sandwich” Skateboarding in the rink
- Grand finale performance of summer-long Kidoinfo Art in the Park program: Providence and the Purple Crayon, with a surprise final art project
- Guest appearance by Mayor Angel Taveras and a proclamation of play
- and the best of Providence food trucks serving dinner throughout!
Follow updates at: https://www.facebook.com/events/487389551271297/
More info on Playful Providence events throughout the city at: http://providenceparks.org/playful-providence/
Thank you to Playful Providence Sponsors – ACT @ St. Andrews, Boys &Girls Clubs of Providence, Capital Properties, Crossfit Providence, East Side/Mt. Hope YMCA, KaBOOM!, Mayor’s Office for Healthy Communities, Partridge, Snow & Hahn, LLP, Providence Athenaeum, Rhode Island College, Rhode Island Families in Nature, Rhode Island, Parkour, Venda Ravioli, WBRU, Rhode Island State Council on the Arts, and Whole Foods Market